As one of the few remaining Communist nations, Laos is a volatile area for Christians. Social pressure, prevention of new church buildings and imprisonment are some of the challenges Laotian Christians face.
Laos is one of the world’s least developed nations and is widely covered by tropical forest. The Communist Party has ruled Laos since 1975 and maintains close ties to Vietnam and China.
As one of the few remaining Communist nations, Laos is a volatile area for Christians. Officially, the government permits the practice of four religions, including Christianity. In reality, however, Christians are tortured, harassed, evicted from homes and villages, denied education opportunities, arrested and forced to deny their faith.
Persecution occurs mainly at the local level, through the prevention of new church buildings, social pressure and arrests. Open churches are watched carefully by the government.
This year several Christian families have been forced to leave their homes and livelihoods because their village neighbours have demanded that they either deny Christ, or leave. Some Christian pastors have been imprisoned for their evangelism ministry and their families struggle to make ends meet.
How You Can Help
You can help persecuted Christians in Laos by donating to Christmas Care Laos which is focused on sharing the joy of Christmas with children of the persecuted church. By sponsoring a Christmas Care pack, you are not only blessing children in Laos, but also their parents.
Our project officer said, “For children in Laos to receive such a gift, it will be like a miracle. Not only will the children be happy, but also the parents will smile and be very thankful.
“It is hard for parents to purchase a gift for their child … Christmas Care gifts are a reminder that believers have not forgotten them.”
Please share the joy of Christmas with children of the persecuted church in Laos by sponsoring a $25 Christmas Care pack. Donate today.
Pray for Laos
- Pray for Laotian Christians who are in prison for their faith, that God will strengthen and protect them.
- Pray for their families, that God will provide their needs and comfort them with His presence.
- Pray for Laotian Christians who have been injured or lost loved ones as a result of persecution, especially that they will forgive their enemies.
- Pray Laotian Christians will stand firm and continue meeting together. Pray that God will strengthen and protect church leaders.
- Pray that God will bless Voice of the Martyrs’ Christmas Care program and use it to encourage many Laotian children who have been impacted by persecution. Pray for safe delivery of the Christmas Care packs.