According to a report by the Evangelical Fellowship of India, 177 incidents of persecution were recorded against the country’s Christian community in 2015. The incidents included physical violence, discontinuation of worship services, church attacks, rape, and arrests of pastors and Christian workers.
The report also stated that Christian persecution was most severe in the central states of Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh, and the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.
Sources: World Evangelical Alliance, The Gospel Herald
- Pray for God’s healing and ministering Spirit to be with all those who have suffered for His name’s sake. Pray that when persecution comes, Christians in India would stand firm in their faith in spite of the pressure.
- Pray the authorities will do all they can to uphold justice for its citizens and protect minority groups.
- Pray that those responsible for persecuting Christians would experience a change in heart, repent, and turn towards the one true God.
INDIA: Christian Publicly Humiliated
INDIA: Pregnant Christian Woman Loses Child After Beating
RESTRICTED NATIONS: INDIA
Four Indian Christians are suffering from acute injuries after they were attacked by a Hindu mob. Christians were worshipping together in a local house church on 20 October as celebrations for a Hindu festival commemorating the victories of Hindu gods over their adversaries were going on outside. A mob formed outside the home and began beating the Christians. One of the Christian women was dragged outside by eight men, brutally raped and cut with a knife. One man suffered a broken knee, while another believer had six ribs and his back broken.
Source: The Voice of the Martyrs USA
• Pray for full recovery from injuries for the believers who were attacked, and for a spirit of love and forgiveness toward their persecutors.
• Pray that the house church will not be daunted from meeting, and that their presence and witness will be a channel for local Hindus to accept the Gospel.
• Ask God to bring Scripture verses to the mind of the believers to reassure and sustain the believers after the horrors they have experienced.
INDIA: Christians Fear Ban on Religious Conversions
INDIA: Christians Brutally Assaulted by Radicals
INDIA: Two Christians Beaten by Hindu Radicals
Hindu radicals in India beat Pastor Augustine Jayraj and two other Christian men and had them arrested by local police on 23 July because of their Christian outreach to a village.
A group of 20 RSS members (a Hindu nationalist organisation) stopped the playing of the Jesus film partway through the video, locked the three men in a room and called police.
The men were beaten, arrested and charged with forced conversions.
Source: The Voice of the Martyrs USA
• Pray that the pastor and these Christian workers will be able to continue their ministry and will be spurred on to boldly preach the Gospel. Pray for their physical healing.
• Pray the Christians in the area will not be discouraged but will act as valuable witnesses for the Gospel.
• Pray for the RSS members and the police involved; may the Lord bring them to see the message of the Gospel is a free gift and not the result of coercion (Ephesians 2:8-9).
INDIA: Christian Leader Killed by Militants
Nepali Christians fear that proposed amendments to Nepal’s new constitution, likely to come into effect by mid-August after seven years of parliamentary discussions, could eventually render all Christian activity illegal.
Christians are deeply concerned that the draft, though it affirms the right to profess and practise one’s own religion, criminalises evangelism and conversion.
Article 31(3) states that “any act to convert another person from one religion to another, or any act or behaviour to undermine or jeopardise the religion of another (will be) punishable by law.”
Christians are concerned that if the latest draft is passed, regular Christian activities – such as holding church services accessible to all, or even simply organising events to aid the disadvantaged – could be interpreted as evangelistic, and therefore punishable by law.
Once the world’s only Hindu kingdom, Nepal was declared a secular, democratic republic in May 2006. Hindu nationalists have run a highly successful propaganda campaign convincing Nepalis that ‘secularism’ will lead to mass conversions to the detriment of Nepalese culture.
Sources: Religious Liberty Prayer Bulletin, Assist New Service.
- Please pray the Lord will intervene to grant those in authority wisdom so that they will preserve religious liberty for the benefit of all.
- Pray He will grant influential Nepalese Christians insight and authority as they seek to influence the debate, advocate for religious freedom and counter Hindu nationalist propaganda.
- Pray Nepalese Christians, evangelists, church workers and church leaders to have divine wisdom as they navigate the path ahead; may God continue to build his church in Nepal.