A local church leader and teacher in Kazakhstan was sentenced to two years in prison on 3 October, after being convicted of making a false emergency-services call.
On 14 April 2015, someone using Yuri Pak’s mobile phone made a prank phone call to Kazakhstan’s emergency services.
The evidence used against Yuri Pak is a two-minute recording of a drunken man making a bomb threat and using prison jargon. Expert witnesses testified that the caller’s voice does not match Yuri Pak’s voice.
Additionally, the caller references spending 10 years in prison and being angry at police, but Yuri Pak has never been in prison. The government in this majority Muslim country appears to be using these false charges to persecute him because of his role in the Christian church.
Source: The Voice of the Martyrs USA
- Pray for justice for Yuri Pak; may the full facts of the case be brought to light. Pray the judicial system will treat him without partiality.
- Ask the Lord to strengthen Yuri Pak and his family; pray they will not fall into fear or despair but trust in the Lord’s will.
- Pray the Lord will provide Yuri Pak with opportunities to share the Gospel while in prison; may he have the blessing of witnessing the powerful work of the Holy Spirit.
Asia Bibi, a Pakistani Christian woman sentenced to death for blasphemy against Islam, will fight for her freedom in court in October.
Bibi was convicted of blasphemy in 2010 after Muslim women told a cleric in a village in the eastern Punjab province that she had made “derogatory remarks” about the prophet.
Since her arrest in 2009, the international community has pressured Pakistan’s strict government, calling for her release and reforms to the blasphemy laws.
Asia’s appeal was scheduled for 26 March of this year. However, rising tensions and protests against her appeal from Pakistan’s Muslim community delayed her appeal until October.
As Bibi has been sitting in prison for over six years, reports have indicated that the health of the 51-year-old mother has been deteriorating.
As the blasphemy law in Pakistan is often abused by Muslims to settle personal scores with Christians and other religious minorities, international religious freedom advocates have asserted that the charge against Bibi is trumped up and have called for the Pakistani government to immediately release her.
Sources: CBN News, The Christian Post
- Pray the Lord will grant favour to Asia Bibi and her legal representatives.
- Pray for justice for Asia and her family; may the court be impartial and not be swayed by prejudicial arguments or protests.
- Pray for Asia’s health and protection, and that of her family. Pray that if she is set free she will be protected from those wishing to take ‘justice’ into their own hands.
PAKISTAN: Five-Year-Old Attacked by Son of Landlord
PAKISTAN: Father Expects No Justice for Daughter
PAKISTAN: Christians Under Threat of Further Attack