Approximately 100 Christians were massacred by Muslim terrorists in the West African nation of Mali last month.
On 9 June, armed Fulani Muslim militants invaded a predominately Christian village in Sobame Da, and killed men, women, and children. Officials say they found at least 95 bodies. The attackers also killed animals and set fire to houses.
“About 50 heavily armed men arrived on motorbikes and pickups,” a survivor named Amadou Togo said. “They first surrounded the village and then attacked – anyone who tried to escape was killed.” A security source at the scene said that the village “had been virtually wiped out.”
No terror group claimed responsibility for the massacre. It has been reported that, every person who died was a Christian.
West Africa is home to some of the most brutal attacks against Christians in recent years that have claimed thousands of lives. Mali was thrown into unrest after Islamic jihadists took over the country in 2012. The violence became so severe the entire Malian government resigned in April.
Sources: Open Doors, BBC, AFP, CBN News
- Ask God to pour out His Spirit of love, order and calm over these communities. Pray for safety and protection.
- Ask God to intervene and bring the persecutors to justice.
- Pray that God’s grace and mercy would be at work in this tragedy.
Post your prayer in the comments below.
In late September and early October, at least three churches in the Mopti region have received “visits” from jihadists.
In Dobara, the militants smashed their way into a church from which they removed crosses and furnishings that were later piled up outside and burned. In Bodwal, members of the same extremist group drove worshipping believers out of their church, warning them that if they ever returned to ring the bells or pray, they would be killed.
Most of the attacks have been claimed by the Group for the Support of Islam and Muslims, a coalition of the region’s most powerful Al-Qaeda affiliates. This same group released a video on 1 July titled, The Correct Equation, which puts forth the Islamic doctrine of retaliation (essentially “an eye for an eye”). The extremist group also used the video to provide proof that they were holding six Western hostages ─ most of whom are Christians accused by group members of working to convert Muslims to Christianity.
Source: Religious Liberty Bulletin
- Ask God to protect and preserve His precious church in Mali, specifically providing security to believers who are extremely vulnerable to militant terror in the Mopti region.
- Pray He will sustain, comfort and deliver the six Western hostages.
- Ask the Lord to pour out His Spirit in Mali to strengthen the faith of believers and draw more people to Himself, including those who currently, violently oppose the Gospel.