Christians living in Yemen request prayer as they experience persecution amidst ongoing war, food shortages, and COVID-19. These challenges have created a significant burden of isolation, both spiritually and physically. The Christian population, which once numbered approximately 40,000, is reduced to only a few thousand. Most live unaware of each other’s existence and in great fear of discovery from their neighbours.
The impact of COVID-19 arrived late in Yemen, compared to the rest of the region. The country is embroiled within a civil war that has left it split between two governments and conflicting international actors. Such an environment has led to persecution that keeps the church underground. Yet after so many years of hardship, many Yemenis are spiritually hungry for answers. Many pastors working in Yemen report an openness for the Gospel message that encourages them for the future of the church.
Sources: International Christian Concern, The Voice of the Martyrs USA
- Ask the Lord to grant wisdom to the governing authorities as they grapple with civil war, unrest, terrorism and the current pandemic.
- Praise God for a greater openness to the Gospel and pray the Lord will continue to use the current sufferings to bring spiritual blessing to many in Yemen.
- Persecution originates from the government, families and extremists groups. Pray for the protection of those who are boldly following Christ.
Post your prayer in the comments below.
The civil war in Yemen has created a humanitarian crisis, leaving the Christian minority vulnerable to increased persecution by various militant groups.
A mission group is delivering food and water supplies to a small community of Christian families who have no source of income, and nearby Muslim families have seen the love and unity among believers.
Please pray that these believers will continue to be witnesses of Christ’s love despite the many challenges they face and that they will stand strong in the face of persecution.
Source: The Voice of the Martyrs USA
- Praise God for the way he works through the witness of His people by the powerful example of Christ’s love for others.
- Thank the Lord for the provision of food and other necessities; pray this small community may continue to be provided for and be generous with what they have.
- Pray the Lord may pour out His Spirit on this nation to reveal Himself to many as He comforts and delivers people caught up in the unrest.
YEMEN: Attack of Christian Care Home
Muslims are Coming to Christ
Two Christian converts from Islam in Yemen were killed during the past couple of months. It is reported that in September in Taiz in south-west Yemen, a Christian man was ambushed and shot to death by a suspected al-Qaeda member. On 2 October, a Christian man was shot to death in his home.
The slain Christians were known to have been openly confessing their faith. Yemen, a 99.9% Muslim country, is ruled by sharia law and is presently caught up in a civil war.
Sources: WEA Religious Liberty Commission, Morning Star News
- Pray for God’s comfort and strength for those grieving the loss of loved ones.
- Ask the Lord to strengthen the resolve of His children in Yemen to love, serve and follow Him even through great trials and suffering. Pray He will pour out His Spirit and grow His church throughout this nation.
- Pray for greater religious freedoms, an end to the civil war and for greater political stability in Yemen. Ask the Lord to supply this nation with strong, wise and benevolent leaders.
MIDDLE EAST: Christian Convert Forced to Leave Home
MIDDLE EAST: Pray for Three Evangelists on Trial
MIDDLE EAST: Christian Siblings Orphaned and Pursued